Read, Write, Inc
At Westleigh Methodist Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme.
Read Write Inc is a complete literacy programme for children 4-7 who are learning to read, and for older children who need to catch up quickly.
What the children will learn in reading:
- 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- To read words using sound blending
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- After meaningful discussion led by an adult children show that they understand the stories by answering questions.
What the children will learn in writing:
- Write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds
- Write words by saying the sounds and graphemes
- Learn to build sentences orally using adventurous vocabulary
- Start with simple sentences and develop towards more complex ones by the end of the programme
- Compose a range of texts using discussion prompts.
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPAG)
To stay in line with the new National Curriculum, new elements to the RWI programme have been added to incorporate the SPAG requirements in Key Stage 1.
The children are streamed according to ability, and taught by a fully trained member of staff. All staff are supported by the Reading Leader, who is a member of staff in school.
Assessments are completed by the Reading Leader every half term and groups are reorganised.
For children who need extra support where they make not be making the expected progress, they will receive regular 1-1 intervention, with specific targets based on their next steps.
Click on the links below to see all of the words that the children will learn through Read Write Inc: